Later than I’ve ever been, I think, thanks to The Client From Hell. Further proof, if proof were needed, that no amount of compensation is sufficient and also of that old adage:
If a thing’s not worth doing, it’s not worth doing well.
Highlights of the month:
- Repotted an orchid after reviving with weak tea for a week
- Discovered the pleasure of DIY fruit vinegars
- Got a new outdoor table for the succulents
- Attended as much as I could of the virtual Hearsay Audio Festival. Some cracking award winners
- Took a teeny-weeny baby step into Jupyter
- Had a (malignant) mole removed
- My car got towed away, my own fault. Recovery relatively painless, but expensive
- Cultural quickie in Osta Antica with a simple picnic lunch
We’ve had a couple of social events, mostly dining outside with one or two friends, and that has been a lot of fun. Down in the Campo di Fiori on Saturday night we happened across a very rowdy mob of very loud youth. Apparently this sort of thing is officially called a movido, and while it wasn’t scary, at least not to me, it was unpleasant. A young girl was whaling on a boy with fists and boots, surrounded by a crowd egging them both on. Who knows?
The mole removal came with a no-workout warning, but an OK to walk with sticks, so I did, only to discover that there’s no Nordic Walking workout on the Apple watch. Seems like an oversight to me. Anyway, I enjoyed it, and might try to keep at it if I can.
I should note here too, though strictly speaking it took place in June, that after a 2.5 week break, it was a little hard to resume HIIT. The first session left me decidedly stiff and the second, this morning, seems anecdatally to have had slower heart rate recovery.
Impressive increase in naps.
- Walking with sticks: 6
- Reading: 20
- Steps (avge): 11,054
- Podcasts: 52 (41 of them logged)
- In bed/asleep 8:27/7:18
- 7 Minutes: 7 days; alternating 2 cycles moderate and 3 cycles cardio blast.
- Weight (avge): 85.8
- Naps 12
- Walking with sticks: 0
- Reading: 23
- Steps (avge): 9943
- Podcasts: 49 (42 of them logged)
- In bed/asleep 8:41/7:38
- 7 Minutes: 12 days; alternating 2 cycles moderate and 3 cycles cardio blast.
- Weight (avge): 86.0
- Naps 8
The aforementioned Client from Hell caused some serious self-reflection, and a possible resolution. I could just stop working as much as I am. After all, what’s the point of having saved diligently for a pension only to leave it sitting earning piddling amounts of interest. Of course, then I wouldn’t have any excuse for not doing the things I currently say I’d rather be doing, but I could live with that. Still, I had already planned to wind down over June and July (and much of August too, in all likelihood), so we’ll see how it goes.
Hours logged per month
Percent of logged hours: 2021
Previous years are on an archive page.
Five new posts, and finally resumed plumbing the logs for old ones that something or someone might be looking for. Only had time for three, from 2006, 2009 and 2011.
No point maoning that I haven’t had time to do things. Just do them.
The summer is looking very appealling. And in two days, I get my second vaccination shot. So, all is good.
Here's the table
Click the triangle to see or hide the table
|Month||Total||Daily||Admin %||ETP %||Other %|